With every changing of the seasons, I get hit with the intense desire for…well…CHANGE! And of course, Spring this year has brought it in full force, with the new baby on the way next month and all. So combined with the typical seasonal turnover, I am also experiencing the nesting instinct in full force as well. Winter is a hard season for me. Despite the fact that I was born and raised in Western Washington, I have never really adapted to the long dreary months of rain and gloom that we often experience here. As soon as the holidays are over, and January rolls around, I get a pretty bad case of the “Blahs”. It’s even worse when we get NO SNOW (like this year) because it just continues to rain rain rain. As soon as March starts to roll around, I get practically giddy with the anticipation of Spring. And what joy that it has come so early this year!!! =)
So what is a girl to do to try and dispel some of the winter gloom from the house? Here are some of my tried and true techniques:
1. Bust out the bright colors! Still wearing that old winter/fall wardrobe? All of those warm colors are lovely for the right time of year, but I find them down right depressing come March. Bust out the yellows, greens, pinks, purples, blues…anything bright and colorful and preferably Spring inspired. Nothing lifts my mood better than putting on a yellow shirt.
2. If you paint your nails, treat yourself to an at-home manicure and a new Spring shade. If you’re still wearing dark red, it’s time for some pink! It’s an INSTANT mood booster!
3. Candles. I love Bath and Body Works, but everyone has their own preferences. It’s a little bit of a splurge, but so worth it for me. I buy some of the new Spring scents and I light them whenever I need an extra little sense of Spring in the air!
4. We have a large vase that sits above the mantel in our living room, and with each season, I change out the flowers that are in it. It’s truly amazing what this can do for the feel of the house. Fake flowers can get a little pricey for the nice looking ones, so I wait until I see a great sale and then I hit that up. 50% off at Joann’s today! WOO HOO! And once you have all four seasons, you can really just rotate through those instead of needing to buy more. (I now have a bouquet for Fall, Winter, and Spring.)
5. Open the windows and turn on the lights. I am often times surprised when I go over to family and friends’ houses and see how so many of them keep the blinds closed and the lights off. For me, it’s like being in a cave, and that is certainly not conducive to improving my mood! Now, some folks like this feel, so I’m not putting that down. But if you are like me and you can fight a bit of the seasonal depression…well, LET IN SOME LIGHT!!! =)
6. If you are crafty, there are all sorts of fun little projects that you can do around the home that bring a bit of Spring indoors. Here is an example of a centerpiece that I made for our kitchen table. I added a few flowers from the flower sale, and voila!
7. And lastly, but certainly not leastly, Spring Cleaning! Change out the bed linens for something more colorful, switch your fabric softener to a pretty floral scent, open up closets and clear things out, scrub scrub scrub…It’s amazing what a freshly cleaned home can do to improve your mood. *note to self – do THIS!
And so there you have it. The methods that I use to usher out the old and welcome in the new as Spring approaches. Maybe you have some other ideas? I’d LOVE to hear them! Happy Spring everyone!!